1656 Oak View Avenue
Kensington, CA 94707
$995,000 | Sold $1,320,000
1656 Oak View Avenue, Kensington, CA 94707
4,000 SF Lot
About 1656 Oak View Avenue
Love Will Abide!
This beloved 2/2 MacGregor-esque cottage comes to market for the first time since 1965. It truly carries a legacy of love. Many happy memories abide in these walls, of a happy marriage, of laughter, lifelong friendships, many gatherings of family and friends, creative projects and travel adventures undertaken. The owner is ready to pass the baton, and let the next adventure begin!
Lovingly maintained over the years, 1656 Oak View Avenue retains much original charm along with some tasty latter-day upgrades. Beautiful random plank hardwood floors, coved living room ceilings, a large picture window to let the light pour in, a fireplace with wood stove insert, a split-level floor plan with one bedroom separated slightly above the main floor, all add up to create an inviting, cozy and winsome place to call home.
Newer vinyl windows throughout, solar electric & hot water, and new LED lights in many rooms provides better, more environmentally friendly energy efficiency. The modernized kitchen with a wall mount oven and a new BEKO counter depth refrigerator, plus a generous separate pantry, make this is a great starter or forever home. Honed slate floors in the kitchen and upstairs bath lend a grounded naturalized feeling to the home and along with the Corian counters and warm wood cabinetry make for an enduring lifestyle. The one car garage with interior access provides year round convenience.
Built in 1940, the main house started out as a classic 1237 sq ft. , 2/1 bungalow-style home. More than 20 years ago, the owners dug out the basement area to the full foot print of the home, adding substantial space below grade, WITH permits. The addition created both additional living space downstairs, bringing the recognized sq. ft. of the house to 1784, PLUS a large basement workshop area. The living area includes a versatile bonus room plus second bathroom. Uniquely built, the second bath is divided into two spaces, one side a private half bath, the other a separate sauna/shower room. This lower level living space offers tremendous potential as a media room, rumpus room, home office, or art space. Or with your vision: it could be reimagined as an in-law unit, a master suite, or… you decide.
Storage, Storage, Storage: With an attached one car garage, plus a large additional basement area that can function as a workshop, workout room, storage and systems, plus a pull down attic access, and a pantry off the kitchen, there is more than ample storage.
Solar: This home is equipped with two energy saving solar powered systems. The whole house electricity system, leased from Tesla, is designed to produce approximately 70% of the energy needs for a household of 2. The recently upgraded solar hot water system preheats water before it goes into the electric water heater. In sunny weather, the system provides enough hot water for normal use. In cloudy weather or high use situation, the electric system supplements the hot water supply.
Yard: The fenced and private back yard is a true garden oasis. It’s absolutely glorious from Spring through Summer with a wealth of established plantings including: more than 10 large, prolific roses, a truly spectacular purple clematis that sports saucer sized blooms, a lush established grassy lawn, plus an espalier apple tree, a young Meyer Lemon, a raised veggie bed and an ample area for entertaining. And there’s lots of room for an avid gardener to work their own magic. The front yard sports a vibrant English garden look, with a variety of seasonal plants to surprise you year round. The existing plants have been maintained by a professional gardener, who is open to continuing on, if wanted.
Features & Updates
- Freshly Painted inside and out
- New lighting, including LED in most rooms
- Solar Electric & Solar hot water, with 2 tank storage
- Newer vinyl windows throughout
- Newer forced air heating system
- Random plank wood floors in LR, DR, Bedrooms
- Honed Slate floors in Kitchen, Upper Bath, and Porch
- Whole house vacuum system
- Garage with interior access
- New BEKO counter depth fridge, slotted into wall
- Eat-in Kitchen
- Raised veggie bed
- Lush private back garden with mature roses, clematis, and fruit trees
- Generous storage including: pantry, basement, pull-down attic, attached garage with interior access
- Below grade plus spaces added with permits with in-law potential
- Existing sauna (unknown if working)
- Many electrical and plumbing upgrades
- Star Inspection
- East Bay Structural Pest Report
- Sewer Lateral Compliant
Take a Tour of 1656 Oak View Avenue
LOCATION – LOCATION – LOCATION
Located in one of the absolute best pocket neighborhoods in the East Bay, 1656 Oak View Avenue is both centrally located AND a quiet, private street, right on the Berkeley-Albany-El Cerrito border. Just off the lower Kensington-Colusa circle and just above St. Jeromes, this area of Kensington is known as Berkeley Park.
Nearby amenities include:
- A mere half-block stroll to Colusa Circle gets you to the Sunday Farmers Market, Semifreddi’s Bakery, Circus Pub, Colusa Market (produce, wine, deli, and more), plus Kensington Veterinary Hospital, and restaurants, dry cleaners, hair salon, and a florist
- Half block to AC Transit bus stop that runs from El Cerrito BART, through downtown Berkeley and Elmwood, to Rockridge BART.
- 3 minutes to all the best of the Solano Ave shops and restaurants, including Peets, Starbucks, Safeway, Andronicos, Barney’s Gourmet Burgers, Kirin, Bowl’d, Sweet Basil Thai, Cactus Taqueria and sooooo much more!
- 3 minutes to Albany Memorial Park, the Albany dog park, and EC FatApples
- 6 minutes to Chez Panisse and the Thursday Farmers Market
- 8 minutes to Costco & Metro Dog & Pt. Isabel Dog Park
- 6 minutes to the El Cerrito Swim Center
- 9 minutes to Berkeley Repertory Theater and Freight & Salvage