528 Jean Street
Oakland, CA 94610
$895,000 | Sold $1,452,000
528 Jean Street, Oakland, CA 94610
4,000 SF Lot
About 528 Jean Street
Craftsman, check! Charming, check! Location, check! Welcome to 528 Jean Street, an exceptional 1915 California Craftsman Bungalow perched in Oakland’s beloved Rose Garden neighborhood near the vibrant Grand-Lakeshore district and Piedmont Avenue. (With so much to explore nearby, your car may rarely leave the driveway!) This sweet shingled bungalow has 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, a bright bonus attic room for guests or office, 2(!) fireplaces in the living and dining rooms, and hardwood floors throughout. Everywhere you look you see a celebration of original craftsmanship: the rich wood used in ceiling details, the built-ins with leaded glass cabinet doors and the fireplace masonry. Meanwhile, the kitchen and bathroom have been seamlessly modernized with designer touches.
The bungalow’s entry is tucked into an inviting front porch overlooking the friendly neighborhood. Gorgeous wood details are the focus of the foyer, living room, and dining room. The elegant paneled dining room features a built-in buffet, a hallmark of Craftsman genius. In the kitchen, you’ll love the original cozy built-in breakfast nook, new stainless-steel appliances, quartz marblesque countertops, and crisp white cabinetry. The kitchen flows to a laundry room, which opens to the backyard.
This bungalow comes with BIG bonuses: An attic room paneled in bright white and featuring a built-in bed. A bountiful apple tree in the front yard (the current owners loved making applesauce each fall). A low-maintenance backyard with a fresh sod lawn, veggie beds, treehouse, and even a chicken coop! A detached garage converted into a large studio with tons of potential. And SO close to shops, dining, BART, farmer’s market, live music, a movie theater, I-580, and more!
Features & Updates
- 1915 California Bungalow
- Shingled exterior
- Craftsman hallmarks incl. built-in bookcases, buffet with lead paneled glass fronts, rich wood details on ceilings and walls
- 2 fireplaces in living room and dining room
- Hardwood throughout
- Built-in kitchen breakfast nook
- Kitchen updates incl. stainless steel appliances and quartz counters
- Bright primary bedroom with a sweet window seat overlooking the backyard
- Designer updated bathroom with shower over tub
- Bonus attic room with built-in bed
- Detached garage converted into large studio
- Bountiful apple tree in front yard
- Backyard with fresh sod grass, veggie beds
Take a Tour of 528 Jean Street
528 Jean Street is located in Oakland’s beloved Rose Garden neighborhood, known for its quiet winding streets, storybook homes of the 1920s, and perfect location between two vibrant districts: Grand-Lakeshore and Piedmont Avenue.
Top 10 Things to Do Here
- Stop and smell the blossoms at Morcom Rose Garden, a 7-acre oasis just two blocks away!
- See a big-screen movie in style at the historic Grand Lake Theater, a 10-min. stroll from home. Don’t miss the Mighty Wurlitzer Organ music Fri. and Sat. nights.
- Take a quick 5 min. drive to Lake Merritt to picnic, boat, jog, visit the Bonsai Garden, or zoom around the lagoon on an electric scooter rental.
- Play at Children’s Fairyland along Lake Merritt. Puppet shows, train, merry-go-round, ponies, and more!
- Stock up on sweet strawberries and organic veggies at the Grand Lake Farmer’s Market, a Saturday institution. Live music, too! 4-min. car ride or 12-min. stroll.
- You’re dangerously close (2 min.!) to Zachary’s Chicago Style Pizza on Grand Ave.
- Indulge in a date night at The Wolf, 5 min. away on Piedmont Ave. Put a cherry on top at Fenton’s Creamery.
- Roll downhill 2 min. and hit happy hour at The Libertine on Grand.
- Conveniently located 2 min. from Safeway and 4 min. from Trader Joes.
- Commuting? 2 BART Stations (MacArthur and 19th St.) are under 2 mi. away. You’re 10.6 mi. from downtown SF and 13 mi. from OAK airport. And it’s easy peasy to get to I-580.