1064 Via Alta
Lafayette, CA 94549
$2,785,000 | Sold $3,350,000
1064 Via Alta, Lafayette, CA 94549
23,522 SF Lot
About 1064 Via Alta
Quintessential Mid-Century Modern Luxury Home in Lafayette
Step back in time when you enter 1064 Via Alta in the Lafayette hills, a phenomenal split-level 5-bed, 3-bath luxury home built by renowned Mid-Century Modern architect Robert Klemmedson in 1959. The quintessential Mad Men-era masterpiece has been carefully restored to its modernist glory and is hitting the market for the first time in 60 years!
Hailed as “The House of Balconies” by the San Francisco Examiner when it was built, 1064 Via Alta boasts soaring vaulted ceilings and expansive walls of floor-to-ceiling windows that frame dramatic views of Mt. Diablo and vineyards dotting distant Lafayette hillsides. Choose from the home's multitude of decks and balconies to watch a summery sunset, or sip a martini while immersed in the Mid-Mod vibe.
The 3,170-sq-ft. house sits on a very private half-acre surrounded by mature oak, pine, and bay trees. Enthusiasts will love details like original slate floors with radiant heat, mahogany paneled walls (lovingly restored to their strawberry blond hue), a sunken conversation pit next to a two-sided copper fireplace (many cozy game nights happened here), exposed beam ceilings, and multiple sliding glass doors that open onto decks and patio surrounding the 9-foot-deep pool.
Klemmedson’s architecture celebrates our connection to nature and geography. At 1064 Via Alta, he married indoor and outdoor spaces by extending a limestone wall from the Zen-like entryway into the living room’s stunning floor-to-ceiling stone wall and out again towards the backyard pool. Family members say the limestone came from a quarry in the Sierra foothills.
Known for his creative use of space, Klemmedson cantilevered the primary bedroom dramatically over the living room, creating a romantic interior balcony. This spacious suite includes a dressing room and serene bathroom with a sunken step-in shower, emerald fired tile, and lush views through vast windows. The suite opens to a curved redwood deck with stairs leading down to the pool. The home’s other bedrooms occupy a separate wing with its own staircase and cantilevered landing. Below this family bedroom wing, you'll find the den, game room/study, and bright laundry room.
The kitchen is substantially larger than many kitchens of the era and is luxuriously updated with high-end appliances, stone counters, and cabinetry. Delicious designer features were added for today’s homeowners who love entertaining, including a peninsula bar with seating, a copper sink, and wine refrigerator. A kitchen-to-patio pass-through is fitted with folding glass windows. The backyard oasis also boasts a gas firepit, freshly laid lawn, and… did we mention the VIEWS?!?
1064 Via Alta is brimming with stunning, flexible spaces for living, playing, working, au pair lodging, and generational housing!
Features & Updates
- Mid-Century Modern architecture
- Split-level 5 bed, 3 full bath, with bonus rooms
- Original Mid-Mod features carefully restored
- Soaring vaulted ceilings with exposed beams
- Mahogany wood paneling, restored to strawberry blond hue
- Slate flooring with radiant heat and refinished wood flooring
- Floor-to-ceiling windows throughout
- Views of Mt. Diablo
- Private setting
- Swimming pool
- Impeccable updates: lighting, electrical, kitchen, bathrooms, landscaping, hardscaping
- Zen-like entry with oversized front door and floor-to-ceiling windows
- On either side of the interior landing are short stairways: One leads up to primary bedroom suite and another leads up to additional bedrooms, bathroom, and bonus room with angular ceiling.
- Stunning overview of main living areas: soaring vaulted ceilings and walls of floor-to-ceiling windows framing views of mature oaks, pines, bay trees
- A central, short stairway leads down to the main living areas
- Exceptionally spacious and open
- Restored and updated with a mix of original and new custom cabinetry
- Top-rated ZLine appliances
- Stone counters
- Peninsula bar with seating, copper sink, wine refrigerator underneath
- Kitchen-to-patio pass-through fitted with folding glass windows
- Low wall of plentiful cabinetry serves as Eichler-esque room divider without obstructing views or natural light
- Sliding glass doors that open to patio and pool
- Double-sided fireplace with slate hearth and copper fronts that extend to ceiling. Enjoyed in both living and dining rooms
- Sunken conversation area
- Original stonework wall (an artpiece itself!)
- Sliding glass doors that open to patio and pool
- Cantilevered dramatically over the living room, creating a romantic interior balcony
- Dressing room
- Long wall of cedar-lined closets
- Updated bathroom with twin sinks, generous sunken step-in shower, rain head, custom polished brass Kohler
- fixtures, vast windows
- Doorway to curved redwood deck with Mt. Diablo views. Overlooks pool with stairs down to patio.
- 4 additional bedrooms are located in their own “wing.” Large picture windows look out at oaks and patios. Cedar closets.
- Cozy family room adjacent to the kitchen
- Spacious game room with built-in shelves and cabinets. Siding glass door opens to patio.
- Bright laundry room with floor-to-ceiling cabinetry
- Resurfaced 9-foot-deep pool
- Copper roof
- Covered carport for 2 vehicles
- 2nd driveway located below the main property (might be an opportunity for an ADU, art studio, home office or RV/boat storage)
Take a Tour of 1064 Via Alta
1064 Via Alta is located in Lafayette’s coveted Upper Happy Valley neighborhood. While this home might feel like a serene retreat far from it all, you’re actually less than 1 mile from all the restaurants, shops, and conveniences of Mt. Diablo Boulevard! Whole Foods and Trader Joes are about 5 minutes away. So is the BART station if you’re commuting to SF or Oakland. The beautiful Lafayette Reservoir and trails are barely 10 minutes from home. The acclaimed Acalanes High School is just 3 miles away. And popular downtown Lafayette events include the Art & Wine Festival and the Rock the Plaza free concert series. You’re also close to Deer Hill Vineyards if you need to grab a bottle of award-winning cabernet for your next pool/cocktail party!
Check out these highlights:
- Charming downtown Lafayette is only 1.5 miles from home and offers chic shops, delicious dining, and popular town festivals.
- La Fiesta Square, is about 1 mile away and is where you will find great restaurants like American Kitchen, Cooperage, Tutu’s, and Roam Burgers.
- Lafayette is for foodies! Other notable restaurants: Postino, Social Bird, Barranco, RÊVE Bistro #a-little-paris-in-the-hood (“a little Paris in the hood”), and Batch & Brine.
- The Lafayette Reservoir is a picturesque place for hiking, jogging, fishing, boating, and picnicking. Only 1.8 miles away!
- Challenge yourself by climbing the nearby Rohrer Ridge Trail with rewarding Mt. Diablo views. Learn about other local trails at lamorindahikes.com.
- Top schools! Happy Valley Elementary is 2 miles from home, and Acalanes High School is 3.5 miles away.
Convenient for commuters:
- BART – Lafayette station: 1.2 mi.
- Downtown Oakland: 12 mi.
- Downtown San Francisco: 20 mi.
- Oakland airport: 21 mi.